Manchester City will be one of the main participants in the biggest sports law battle in British history.
The Citizens have been charged by the Premier League with over 100 counts of breaching financial rules, per an official statement released on Monday morning.
It’s an unprecedented situation and the state of English football may be very, very different after the conclusion of the groundbreaking case – which unfortunately could take years to happen.
Read more – Man City vs Premier League: How much will main defence lawyer earn?
The time period of the charges aimed at City is from 2009 right up to the conclusion of the 2017/18 season.
With that in mind, we asked ourselves; how much did the current Premier League champions actually spend during that spell, compared to other clubs around the world?
Well, using the ever-reliable website Transfermarkt, we can provide a detailed answer to the question.
Below is a list featuring the 20 clubs who spent the most on transfers from the 2009/10 season up to 2017/18. You’ll never guess who’s sitting top of the tree…
The 20 clubs who spent the most between 09/10 and 17/18
20. Borussia Dortmund (Germany) – €454.02 million
19. Everton (England) – €463.91 million
18. Wolfsburg (Germany) – €476.90 million
17. Napoli (Italy) – €530.74 million
16. AS Monaco (France) – €538.71 million
15. AC Milan (Italy) – €576.52 million
14. AS Roma (Italy) – €580.66 million
13. Atletico Madrid (Spain) – €590.85 million
12. Tottenham Hotspur (England) – €598.18 million
11. Bayern Munich (Germany) – €607.75 million
10. Arsenal (England) – €617.06 million
9. Inter Milan (Italy) – €735.13 million
8. Liverpool (England) – €866.73 million
7. Real Madrid (Spain) – €910.90 million
6. Juventus (Italy) – €931.32 million
5. Paris Saint-Germain (France) – €956.60 million
4. Manchester United (England) – €1.01 billion
3. Barcelona (Spain) – €1.10 billion
2. Chelsea (England) – €1.12 billion
- Manchester City (England) – €1.44 billion
Madness, right? But it’s no surprise whatsoever that three Premier League teams feature in the top five.
City amazingly spent way more than double what Arsenal forked out on players between 2009/10 and 2017/18, while they coughed up over €500 million more than Real Madrid – who aren’t exactly shy of a mega-money deal themselves.
As well as being the top spenders, the Citizens’ overall balance during the time period is equally ludicrous.
Check out those numbers in order…
Just over €1 billion in difference between money spent on transfers and money gained from them, jaw-dropping stuff really.
Premier League quiz: Can you name these 40 players from the 2010s?
You can find all of the latest football news and rumours right here.