Restaurant diners ‘run for their life’ after ‘sparkler in cocktail’ causes huge blaze

Diners ran for their lives after a sparkler in a drink caused a huge fire at a restaurant in Birmingham.

Restaurant-goers at the Caffe de Milano in Hurst Street were evacuated after the fire started at around 11pm.

Video footage shows huge flames engulfing the restaurant as one member of staff tries to throw a small bucket of water to dampen down the blaze.

Emergency services were called to the scene at around 11pm last night, but when firefighters arrived staff had already put out the flames.

There were no injuries, but the dramatic scenes left diners terrified, it was reported.

A West Midland Fire and Rescue spokesperson told ‘We were called at 23.03pm last night and sent two crews from Highgate.

‘When they got to the scene the fire had been extinguished by the staff.

‘The cause of the fire was believed to be accidental, and had been started by a sparkler in a drink.

‘The fire then spread to wall decorations. Fire crews attended and the fire had been put out on arrival at around 23.28pm.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Get your need-to-know latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more by signing up to Metro’s News Updates newsletter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *